Brandi is an alumna of Red Deer College (RDC). She graduated from the College's Practical Nurse program in 2006. Upon completion of her program, she began her career at Red Deer Regional Hospital working in Nephrology, Oncology/Palliative, and Neurology/Stroke.
She transitioned to nursing education with RDC in 2011 and found her passion. Brandi has been an instructor in the Practical Nurse program since this time.
She is currently enrolled in the Bachelor of Arts in Psychology program with Athabasca University. Brandi has received her certification in Simulation through Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA, and has also completed courses and a certification in Interprofessional Education with the Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing.
As an instructor, Brandi values a positive, supportive, and inclusive teaching environment. In the classroom, Brandi integrates best practice, experience, and knowledge from nursing practice and education to facilitate the development of students.
Practical Nurse Diploma, Red Deer College
Brandi teaches in many different areas of the program in both the first and second year of the Practical Nursing Program. These areas include class, lab, and clinical in Nursing Foundations, Pharmacology, Healthy Adults, Residential Care, Acute Care, Family Centered Care, Leadership, and Interprofessional Healthcare Communication.
- “The Edge of Tomorrow: Perspectives, Pedagogy, and Possibilities for Nursing Education Conference,” Western and Northern Region Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing Victoria, British Columbia, 2017.
- “Implementing Interprofessional Education as an Interprofessional Team in a healthcare Communication Course.”
- “Faculty Showcase,” Red Deer College, Center for Teaching and Learning, Red Deer Alberta, 2016
- Presenting on experiences of teaching INTP 104 Healthcare Communications.
- Mount Royal University’s Signature Event: Teaching Together, Calgary, Alberta, 2016.
- “Teaching Interprofessional Communication as an Interprofessional Team.
- Canadian Association of Practical Nurse Educators Conference (CAPNE), Edmonton, Alberta, 2014.
- “Flipped Classroom.”
- Career mentor for JA Southern Alberta’s Annual Career Fair. Hosted table discussions a providing mentorship to students in high school from Central Alberta.
- Participated in the Alberta Government’s Continuing Care Regulations Review.
- Red Deer Minor Hockey.
- Red Deer Lacrosse Association.
- CIBC Run for the Cure.
- Ducks Unlimited.
- Selection Committee for the Licenced Practical Nurse Awards of Excellence (CLPNA)
- Member, February 2018 to present
- Fredrickson McGregor Education Foundation for Licenced Practical Nurses (CLPNA)
- Member, May 2017 to present
- Simulation Working Group
- Member, 2016 to present
- Social Committee
- Elected Treasurer, 2012 to present
- College of Licenced Practical Nurses of Alberta, Member in good standing since 2006.
- Canadian Interprofessional Health Collaborative, Member, 2015.
- International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning, Member, 2016.
Awards and Honors:
- Recipient of the Rita McGregor Excellence in Nursing Education award at the 2017 Canadian Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta Annual General Meeting and Conference.