More Program Information
Bachelor of Science, Nursing - collaboration with University of Alberta
Skills and Abilities I Need...
- Nursing students need certain skills and abilities to attain the entry to practice competencies required of registered nurses in Alberta.
- These requisite skills and abilities are required to progress through a nursing education program and for initial entry to practice as a registered nurse.
- Students are encouraged to review the document Requisite Skills and Abilities for Becoming A Registered Nurse in Alberta (2011) to determine their fit with the requirements for becoming a registered nurse and/or identifying their potential need for accommodation in becoming a member of the nursing profession.
- For further information regarding potential accommodation for students with disabilities please see Red Deer College Disability Resources
- Please note that the Alberta Human Rights Commission interpretive document Duty to Accommodate Students with Disabilities in Post-Secondary Educational Institutions (2010) stipulates that accommodation does not require post-secondary institutions to lower their academic or non-academic standards and requirements to accommodate students. Accommodation does not relieve students of the requirement to develop the essential skills and competencies expected of all students in a program
- For further information about graduates from the program please review the Grad Profile & Program Outcomes
The BScN program has implemented a situational judgement test requirement, effective Fall 2021 admission onward. The CASPer Test (Computer-Based Assessment for Sampling Personal Characteristics) is the specific situational judgement test being used by the BScN program. CASPer is an online test which assesses for non-cognitive skills and interpersonal characteristics that we believe are important for successful students and graduates of our program, and will complement the grade assessment that we use for application processing.
Eligibility for admission to the BScN program at Red Deer College requires all applicants to meet minimum academic requirements and minimum non-academic requirements (CASPer). Applicants who do not meet all minimum requirements are not considered for admission. All applicants to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing programs at Red Deer College are required to complete an online assessment (CASPer) as part of the application package. Successful completion of CASPer is mandatory in order to maintain admission eligibility. An applicant's CASPer score is a selection factor that is considered in the admission decision process. CASPer Testing is external to the Red Deer College application system. Applicants are required to first submit their application to Red Deer College, then register for a CASPer test. CASPer test results are sent directly to Red Deer College from the CASPer agency and the test should be completed by January 31 to be included in the March 1st review of applicants. For students applying after January 31st, the review of your application will not be completed until the CASPer score is received by Red Deer College (this takes about 3 weeks). Please note that the earlier that CASPer scores are submitted, the earlier the college can make an admission decision on the RDC application. Applicants with incomplete or missing CASPer scores will not be considered for admission. You are only permitted to do the CASPer assessment once per admission cycle. Applicants who have taken the test in previous years will be expected to re-take it. Specific CASPer testing dates are listed on their website. Any questions about CASPer test taking must be directed to the testing agency. Detailed information on the CASPer test is contained in the attached document.
In order to take CASPer, you will be responsible for securing access to a computer with audio capabilities, a webcam, and a reliable internet connection on your selected test date. CASPer can be taken practically anywhere that you can satisfy these requirements. No exceptions will be provided for applicants unable to take CASPer online due to being located at sites where internet is not dependable due to technical or political factors. Please direct any inquiries on the test to support [at] takecasper [dot] com.