Apprenticeship Fall 2020 Schedule
Red Deer College is excited to welcome back Apprentices for fall 2020. We have made some adjustments to our program delivery in order to provide a safe and fulfilling learning environment. This webpage has some general information regarding these changes, as well as links to delivery details unique to each program and period of training. Please review this webpage for your specific program requirements listed below.
Programs are being offered in a blended delivery format with theory online and practical/ shop portions offered on campus. Theory has been moved online due to the COVID-19 pandemic and Alberta Health Services guidelines to minimize close contact with larger groups of people. Students will come on campus only when they are scheduled to complete the practical/shop portions of their courses. Conducting only the practical/shop portions on campus reduces the total number of people on RDC's campus and reduces the health risk for all students and employees.
All learning spaces are following COVID-19 protocols to keep apprentices and instructors safe. Apprentices should be prepared to supply and wear non-medical masks. Apprentices may be required to complete COVID-19 self-assessments before entering campus and will be sent home if they display any symptoms.
We have extended the schedule for your training to give you more time to complete the theory portions online. The result is that the schedule covers more weeks than if all portions were offered face-to-face. However, if you are able to advance through the theory portions quickly, you may be able to complete your Apprenticeship training by the last date of the scheduled practical/shop portion of the course.
The online theory portion of our programs will be in a mainly asynchronous (self-paced) format. You will mostly be able to set your own hours for when you work on your course material. Self-paced study requires discipline and self-motivation, but also gives you the flexibility to do the course work at times that work best for you. Please review the program-specific information for full details.
The synchronous (real-time) online portions of the class will be scheduled and communicated to Apprentices with sufficient prior notice so you can ensure you are available. More information is available on your program information page and will be provided by your instructor.
AIT has received confirmation from Service Canada about Employment Insurance eligibility for Apprenticeship training that extends beyond the normal face-to-face period. Please contact Service Canada for more information about Employment Insurance options for your technical training 1-800-206-7218 (in Alberta).
Please review other funding options for Apprentices.
Due to the uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, AIT is only opening registration for fall. Registration opening dates and class schedules for technical training starting in January 2021 will be announced later this year.
Please refer back to this page for future updates for winter and spring registration.
AIT provided notice about priority registration for apprentices affected by class cancellations in March to June 2020. Affected Apprentices should refer to messaging from AIT for your registration dates. If you miss these dates, please refer to AIT's Technical Training Registration Dates page below.
Apprentices who were not affected by cancellations in March to June 2020 can refer to AIT's Technical Training Registration Dates page for their registration opening date.
- Automotive Service Technician Fall 2020 Schedule
- Carpenter Fall 2020 Schedule
- Cook Fall 2020 Schedule
- Electrician Fall 2020 Schedule
- Gasfitter Fall 2020 Schedule (Period 1 only)
- Heavy Equipment Technician Fall 2020 Schedule
- Agriculture Equipment Technician Fall 2020 Schedule (Period 2 and 4 only)
- Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) Fall 2020 Schedule
- Instrumentation and Control Technician Fall 2020 Schedule
- Locksmith Fall 2020 Schedule
- Parts Technician Fall 2020 Schedule
- Materials Technician Fall 2020 Schedule (Period 1 and 3 only)
- Plumber Fall 2020 Schedule
- Sprinkler Systems Installer Fall 2020 Schedule
- Steamfitter/Pipefitter Fall 2020 Schedule
- Welder Fall 2020 Schedule
Online Learning Resources
RDC has created some tools to help you make decisions on the best course of action for next academic year. Please see our flexible learning readiness checklist to evaluate your readiness for online learning.
Asynchronous? CBAT? What does all this mean? Here are some definitions of flexible learning terms to help you understand your course delivery.
What type of computer/ software/ accessories will I need?
- RDC has put together some requirements and suggestions for flexible learning. In addition, see your program page for additional requirements specific to your program. Your device must have a screen size of at least 13 inches.
What if my internet connection is below the minimum requirements?
- You may have the option to stay on campus in our residence. Please contact RDC's Residence for more information.
Other Resources at RDC
How can I get my ILM’s and textbooks?
- Check your program information page for a list required books and materials. Please also visit RDC's Campus Store website.
I need academic support accommodations: what should I do?
- Academic Support will be available for apprentices in the fall term.
- If you require academic or physical accommodations with Disabilty Services, we always recommend that you contact Disability Resources prior to your start date to start assessing your needs.
What if I need residence, parking or other services when I am on campus?
- Please contact RDC Residence for more information regarding on-campus housing. You can apply for Residence after you register for your program.
- Please contact RDC's Parking Services if you require parking during your time on campus.
- Please review the Red Deer College campus maps to help you find your way.