RDC Apprenticeship 2021/ 2022 Schedule and Delivery Information
During the 2020/ 2021 academic year, RDC's apprenticeship programs adapted quickly to the COVID-19 pandemic public health measures. These updates to our delivery highlighted some apprentices' and employers' preferences for additional program delivery options.
As a result, RDC is pleased to offer many of our programs in a variety of delivery options in 2021/ 2022 to help meet our apprentices' learning needs.
Please review this webpage for general information. You can also review the appropriate program specific information page for schedule information and program specific requirements as you explore or register in the program in which you're interested.
Various programs are being offered in blended delivery, face-to-face and online format. Not all programs are available in all delivery options.
All our learning spaces are following COVID-19 protocols to keep apprentices and instructors safe. Apprentices should be prepared to supply and wear non-medical masks when on campus. All apprentices will be required to complete the COVID-19 Contact Tracing and Alberta Daily Health Checklist using the SAFE RDC app before coming onto campus. Apprentices will not be permitted to come on campus if they are ill. Please visit RDC’s COVID-19 information for additional details.
If there is an instance of COVID-19 affecting you or your class, your on-campus, sessions may be interrupted or shifted to online methods in order to meet Alberta Health Services requirements. All our classes will continue to follow the guidelines set out by Alberta Health Services (AHS). If the AHS guidelines change, RDC may be required to adjust or interrupt your on-campus sessions to accommodate these changes. Your instructor will provide you with additional information in the event of any changes.
Blended delivery is offered with the theory portion online and the practical/ shop portions offered on campus. Apprentices come on campus only when they are scheduled to complete the practical/shop portions of their courses.
We have extended the schedule for blended delivery training to give you more time to complete the theory portions online. The result is that the schedule covers more days than if all portions were offered face-to-face. However, if you are able to advance through the theory portions quickly, you may have the option to finish your program earlier than the last day in the schedule.
The online theory portion of our programs will be in a mainly Online Any Time format. You will mostly be able to set your own hours for when you work on your course material. Self-paced study requires discipline and self-motivation, but also gives you the flexibility to do the course work at times that work best for you. Please review the program-specific information for full details.
Any Online Real Time portions of the class will be scheduled and communicated with sufficient prior notice so you can ensure you are available. More information will be provided by your instructor.
Face-to-Face delivery is offered fully on campus. Apprentices will be required to attend classes and practical/ shop portions in person on our campus. Please review the program-specific information for availability and full details.
Apprentices attending face-to-face delivery are required to provide their own computer device for access to electronic material essential to their program. Please review the computer requirements for additional details. Your device must have a screen size of at least 13 inches to support viewing and functionality.
RDC’s COVID-19 Training is required for everyone who will be coming to campus. This training provides information about COVID-19, RDC’s rules, and the responsibilities we each have to prevent the spread of infection. This will be available in Blackboard on your Loop account shortly after your registration.
Please contact tradesandtechnologies [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca with any questions regarding orientation.
Funding - Please review funding options for Apprentices.
Employment Insurance (EI) - The EI code can be found in your MyTradesecrets account. Please contact Service Canada for more information about Employment Insurance options for your technical training 1-800-206-7218 (in Alberta).
Registration is currently open
- Automotive Service Technician
- Gasfitter (Period 1 only)
- Heavy Equipment Technician
- Industrial Mechanic (Millwright)
- Instrumentation and Control Technician
- Parts Technician
- Sprinkler Systems Installer
RDC has created some tools to help you make decisions on the best course of action for next academic year. Please see our flexible learning readiness checklist to evaluate your readiness for online learning.
Online Real Time? CBAT? What does all this mean?
- Here are some definitions of flexible learning terms to help you understand your course delivery.
What type of computer/ software/ accessories will I need?
- RDC has put together some requirements and suggestions for flexible learning. In addition, see your program page for additional requirements specific to your program. Your device must have a screen size of at least 13 inches to support viewing and functionality.
What if my internet connection is below the minimum requirements?
- You may have the option to stay on campus in our residence. Please contact RDC's Residence for more information.
What can I do to prepare for online learning?
- RDC has an Online Success Toolkit that supports students with the unique challenge of learning online. It offers resources, how-to guides, activities and ideas that will promote your success as online learners. You can access it in under the “My Organizations” box on the myRDC tab.
Other Resources at RDC
- Check your program-specific information page for a list required books and materials. Please also visit RDC's Campus Store website.
- It is highly recommended for you to order your textbooks online well before your program starts to ensure availability.
- Academic Support will be available for apprentices.
- If you require academic or physical accommodations with Disability Services, we recommend that you contact Disability Resources prior to your start date to start assessing your needs.